Monday, December 15, 2008

Unprecedented

christmas wine

A few completely unheard of things happened this weekend.

1) Jay went out of town to visit a friend and dropped the boys off at his Dad's, leaving me at home a l o n e for 24 hours.

2) I spent a lot of that time with my mother.

I've gone out of town for business several times since having children, but that's really not the same. The real honest and goodness first time I spent any good length of time by myself since having kids was when I went to Blissdom in October.

The conference was great (and I mean that in the most literal and sincere of ways) but still, there was an agenda and I had to get up all early and stuff. So my plans for this past Saturday night and Sunday?

NOTHING.

I had absolutely NO PLANS.

And it was glorious.

That? Was the best gift my hubby could have gotten me for Christmas.

I headed out to my Grandpa's house on Saturday night where there ended up being an impromptu family gathering. Lots of food, cookies, beer and conversation. Funny stories I'd never heard that reminded me good ol' Papa was once young and did crazy things with his friends, and that he was once where I am now...feeling overwhelmed by kids and work.

I didn't have to dish up food for my boys and beg them to eat. I didn't have to wash faces and hands and try and keep them from running laps around the crowd and worry about them crashing into the fireplace. I didn't have to beg them to stop wrestling or whining and find a book or a toy or crayons to keep them busy time and time again.

I had time to talk and laugh...and to listen. And for that small opportunity, I am grateful.

That night? I put on cozy pajamas and slipped into bed between flannel sheets.

ALONE.

I slept like a rock.

There were no little people sleeping sideways with their feet in my face. No snoring hubby trying to cuddle to me in the middle of the night. (Uh, I'm sleepin' here. Get outta my space.) And if it weren't for a moronic accidental wrong number call from hubby's Mom's boyfriend (follow that?) at 6:45 a.m., I would have slept for 10 hours straight.

I rolled outta bed when I was ready, then had coffee and checked email without feeling guilty because some little one wanted to read a book on my "ap". My only plan for the day included heading out to one store to play a little catch-up on my Christmas shopping.

Now, my Mom and I don't often see eye to eye. We're just completely different people - I'm practical, she's...floofy. Flighty. Emotional. I'm tell it to me like it is, don't sugar coat it, be real. She cried when I told her my cousin's wife had her baby. (A cousin from my Dad's side of the family. They've been divorced 20 years and she probably hasn't seen this cousin of mine in, uh, 25? But I digress.)

So when she called Sunday morning and asked if I wanted company while shopping? Well, I normally would have said "No thanks." But it must have been the extra rest, cuz I said "Sure" and before I knew it we were on our way out the door.

I make lists and head into stores prepared - she browses every isle, buys things she already has and tends to wrap Christmas gifts without putting tags on them. (I tease her every year about it - I can't tell you how many times my brothers have opened gifts only to have them quickly snatched away with an, "Oops. That one's not for you.")

First store? I let her do her wandering - I mean, shopping - while I headed my own way, straight for the items I knew two of my brothers would like and actually needed. Later, when she flipped through racks of sweatshirts, unable to decide if she actually wanted to buy some, or for whom, I walked away, my list for that store complete. Thinking I was just killing time, I looked up and did a double take.

THE MOST PERFECT GIFT FOR MY HUBBY.

I had had no idea what to get him and there it was. I scooped it up, giddy, and all but rubbing my hands together at my own cleverness for finding it.

Having had good luck in that store, we went to another. More people crossed off the shopping list. We stopped for a late lunch. And it was nice. After that, a third store for a return and then I had a crazy idea.

"We should have a wrapping party. We need wine."

My family was on their way home, but we had time. We stopped at the liquor store, she headed home to pick up gifts she'd previously bought and I had the dining room ready for wrapville when she got back. Wine was uncorked, Christmas tunes were a blarin' and tags made it onto her gifts. (I made sure of it. In fact, the issue of my Mom wrapping gifts so last minute so as to cause the entire family stress and anger has been such an issue in past years I don't know why we didn't start having 'wrap parties' long ago. Gifts are wrapped ahead of time and we HAD FUN DOING IT!)

So. That's my "My Weekend" in not-so-much of a nutshell. I feel more rested, the Christmas shopping list is nearly done and on top of it? ALL MY GIFTS ARE WRAPPED.

{{exhale}}

24 comments:

mrs007 said...

it sounds like a very fun and relaxing weekend! I love my kids, but I would love to just have a weekend at home without anyone to entertain but myself....with wine :) Always with wine

Vodka Mom said...

sigh. It's SO nice to have time to yourself, isn't it???

Melisa Wells said...

Good for you! It's amazing what a little alone time will do for the soul.

Alone in your own house. Nothing like it!

Kim H. said...

Colleen, now that's the way to see life 'wine glass half full' -- get it, wine glass? Okay, I'll stop, I know, I'm a cheeseball.

Wow! It sounds FABULOUS! Yes, what a gift. I'd take that in a second. And time with your Mom, how wonderful. You are a good daughter -- she'll treasure that more than you'll ever realize. It's good to have nice, normal interactions once and a while - and I'm speaking from experience. :)

Glad you're rested and rejuvenated - and dangit, I wish I could have come for the wine and wrapping party. That might be a fun 'girls-night-in' idea.....

When can get get to Columbus?????

Kim H. said...

I mean't to say "when can YOU get to Columbus?" Imadork.

Mama Smurf said...

Man, that's my life every day now that the kids are all in school all day and you're STILL ahead of me with the gift wrapping. See you really do have your sh*t together.

Kimberly said...

Sounds like such an awesome weekend!!!! And you're all done wrapping? I'm not even done shopping yet!!! I'm so jealous. :)
http://spiceworld.us

Rachel said...

Woo-wooo! Sounds wonderful honey! Yippee for you!!!
Good for hubby, too.

chicshopperchick said...

I was reading this thinking Oh.My.Goodness. I'm reading something from the future. Before that sounds all spaceshipey and crazy-like (did I already hit that point?) I'll explain: This will be something my daughter will have to write. I'm the floofy, emotional mother. I wander, buy duplicate items, and can never make up my mind about -- well -- anything. And one day, my daughter will tell her friends about how practical she is (like her father and his side of the family) while her mom is the "floofy" one who speaks french fluently and has a slight obsession with Paris.

But actually, I'm ok with that. I think your mom and I would get along well. And hey, if she hadn't been wandering, you may have never found the perfect gift for your hubby!

Sounds like a blast!

WeaselMomma said...

Moments like that are just GLORIOUS!

Kim said...

I swear I felt relaxed reading your post!! What a wonderful way to spend the weekend!!! Good for you..and yah to having all the gifts wrapped!

Mommycosm said...

This made me jealous on so many different levels...

Sounds fabulous!

Cynthia said...

I don't know what I would do with 24 hours to myself!?! Delicious:P

Susie said...

What a great tackle! I need that!

DeuceMom said...

Good for you! I haven't been in my house by myself for 1 second since I lost my job 2 months ago. Not one single instant. Not that I'm complaining, but your tackle is very appealing to me!

Jean said...

That weekend sounds great! I feel so guilty when I am not with the kids by choice but shopping alone and having the house alone is such a treat. Great post! ourlifeinthedesert.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

SO lovely! I am a little jealous of what you got--alone time.

Melanie said...

I want one too!!!

Oh my goodness am I ever jealous. that sounds fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Your tackle sounds like heaven...

Don Mills Diva said...

I am seething with jealousy - it sounds like it was heaven!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great weekend!!!

J Money said...

Your WooBiE ROCKS !!!!!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Sounds divine! I need a weekend like that. :)

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

I don't know that I've ever had such bliss. I know I've never been all by myself since the toddler arrived. I wonder if I need a weekend out.....