Wednesday, April 14, 2010

So what was that quote about life...and plans...?

I was going to write a post today about rethinking my life plans (again) and then Nicholas decided to have a dresser fall on top of him.

Really, it wasn't his fault. Back when we moved last fall, Hubster apparently wasn't sure I approved of the placement of the boys' dressers (or something) because he never anchored them to the wall. I had assumed one just did such things when they moved a huge chest of drawers into a child's room, but silly me. (Really, he feels pretty rotten about it so I don't mean to give him additional grief, but I had to lift a large piece of furniture off my small child, so we're be even.)

He wasn't even climbing the dresser, as one might assume a five-year-old would do. He just had every one of the drawers open. When you're five, logic isn't yet part of the equation, so when I later asked him why all of the drawers were open, I just got a teary shrug.

I was taking laundry out of the drawer when I heard things falling, then breaking, then an "AAAAAHHHH!" and I threw the clean clothes on the floor and sprinted down the hallway.

When I got to the door of Nick's room my heart stopped. His dresser - a 5' tall chest of drawers we bought back when we lived in the old house and the boys didn't have closets - was on an angle, propped up against my skinny little boy's body, which was wedged up against the foot board of his bed.

Its a good thing he thought quick enough to throw his arms up over his face or he might have gotten the corner of a drawer in his eye.

After I lifted the dresser and Hubs pulled the drawers away from him, I scooped him up and nearly cried with him. I was frantically checking his arms and legs and head for injury when he angrily pushed my hands away and shouted through his tears, "ITS RUINED, MAMA. I BROKE MY BASEBALL BANK AND ITS RUINED AND WE CAN'T EVER PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN AND I'M SO SO SORRY!"

And then he threw his little muppet arms around me and nearly broke my heart in half.

I explained to him that it was alright - that I knew he really liked his baseball bank, but that we could get a new one. I told him I was glad it was just the bank that was broken, cuz it was just a thing, and things could be replaced, but not people.

I know he's OK. In fact, right now, he's sleeping soundly, splayed across his bed down the hall.

But Mama's still a bit shaken up.

6 comments:

WeaselMomma said...

Poor little dude. I'm glad he wasn't seriously hurt.

Melisa Wells said...

I'm so glad he's okay!!! (You'll be fine too, very soon.)

I loved the "muppet arms". :)

Unknown said...

So glad the little trooper wasn't hurt. So glad your heart survived the episode.

Anonymous said...

Terrifying! We bolted one large cupboard to the wall for this very reason--I CAUGHT it before it fell over onto Mr. T. And my grandma's crystal shattered all around his feet....

Kimberly said...

Aw poor little guy. (and poor mommy) Glad he's ok!!!
http://spiceworld.us

Marni's Organized Mess said...

There is an award for you on my blog! <3

http://marnisorganizedmess.blogspot.com/