Sunday, September 26, 2010

Playing tourist in my home town

a.k.a. Weekly Winners - September 19 - 25, 2010

I had a few opportunities to shoot more than a few photos of things I see regularly in Milwaukee over the past few days. First, on Friday, I met Melisa and Michelle for lunch at the cafe inside the Milwaukee Art Museum.

clouds over Lake Michigan
Overcast over Lake Michigan

Chihuly’s blown glass sculpture
Chihuly's blown glass sculpture

crab cake topped w/prosciutto...YUM.
Crab cake topped with prosciutto

More Calatrava
Inside the Calatrava

You are not forgotten. 
You are not forgotten.

Then Hubster's Mom gave us tickets for the local boat tour that we took on Saturday. I can't say for certain exactly where it all goes (there are three rivers - the Milwaukee, the Menomonee and the Kinnickinnick that all converge and then empty out into Lake Michigan and I'm sure we spent time on each) but despite the chilly temps (53 and windy) it made for some awesome pictures.

Little Willy
Silly Willy

more river
Milwaukee Ale House

Hoffco Shoe Polish Co.
Hoffco Shoe Polish building

school girl regatta, 2
regatta crew dressed as school girls 
(They must have been FREEZING.)

waving
friendly Milwaukee folks

cranes & boxes
cranes & freight boxes

tug boats
tug boats

coal dust
piles of coal dust

scrap yard
scrap yard

pier & lighthouse
The red light house

regatta
regatta parking

little red tug boat
Another red tug

You can view the rest of the photos in this set here.

Check out more Weekly Winners over on Lotus's blog, and more Sundays in my City on Unknown Mami. This post has also been linked up to Sunday Snapshots.

19 comments:

Tara said...

I've never been to Milwaukee before, I loved see everything you captured!

Kat said...

Dang. You made me miss ole Milwaukee hard core! Great set of my old hometown.

Sarah Cass said...

Wow. Did you intentionally put the sculpture and the similarly lined crab cake next to each other? Or the arched interior of the Calatrava above the swirling flags? The contrast of the proportionate lines makes the set up of yoru series so much more stunning! Beautiful!

RNSANE said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this nice Sunday visit to Milwaukee. I've only been there once in my life and that was a short two day stay about 25 years ago. This was a wonderful chance to experience it again. Your photographs were excellent.

-Check out the link for info on my blogaversary giveaway:
http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2010/09/flash-55-friday-happy-anniversary-to-me.html#links

RNSANE said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this nice Sunday visit to Milwaukee. I've only been there once in my life and that was a short two day stay about 25 years ago. This was a wonderful chance to experience it again. Your photographs were excellent.

-Check out the link for info on my blogaversary giveaway:
http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2010/09/flash-55-friday-happy-anniversary-to-me.html#links

maggie said...

Beautiful shots! I can't believe I've never been to Milwaukee, growing up as close to it as I did. The crab cake looks delish.

Rachel said...

Colleen, soooo gorgeous!
The blown glass sculpture is spectacular and the crab cake.. nom nom nom

Jac said...

Beautiful shots!! I think we should all play tourist in our hometown more often!

Claudya Martinez said...

I love the picture of the Chihuly sculpture right above the crab cake. I think they compliment each other.

Bridget said...

I've never been to Milwaukee before, but now I want to! Such a beautiful area.

SECRET AGENT MAMA said...

So fun!! I love the shots of the boats on the water! xo

Denise said...

Playing tourist in your own city is the best thing ever... I find no one photographs a city as well as its residents, because its done with love. These photos are done with love... beautiful shots!

Melisa Wells said...

Great shots!

Glad the boat ride was fun, even if you froze! :)

A Mom Anonymous said...

Awwww! You make me miss Milwaukee! I only lived there a few years but it was fun (as a kid) when I did. I just don't think I could handle the weather anymore. I'm too spoiled by ours out West. My mom was just there last week and said the same thing - she could live there again except for the weather. Thanks for the great photo tour!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the pictures are amazing! Nice job taking us around your town! :)

jp said...

love that museum!

Anonymous said...

Great photo's. I really can't pick a favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

The design of that museum is breathtaking!

Being a tourist in my own town is one of my favourite things to do. I'm actually heading out on Saturday morning to some tourist attractions myself :)

Mari said...

I love Milwaukee, what a great city to be from! I miss it terribly and visit when I can.
Great post!