Sunday, February 20, 2011

The best birthday EVER.

I think I've hit a new high for birthdays this year, and not sure I'll ever be able to top it.

The Hubster worked the night before, so even though I took the day off work I had to get up with the kids and get them ready for school and the sitter's. We didn't have to get up as early as we normally do, which was nice, but Nick still got up about a half hour earlier than the alarm. I somehow was able to convince my six-year-old that he should crawl under the covers and cuddle with me...and I'm fully aware of how few times that will probably happen in the future.

Finally, at ten to seven, I let him get up and went to wake Will. Somehow, we were totally on top of things that morning. Some days there is whining and fighting and indecision as to who wants what cereal. But Friday morning there was peace and smiles and even singing.

Ignore the random pile of school papers on the table.

Jay got home from work in time to take Nick to school, so Will and I had some time to just kinda hang out. Around 8:45 he and I left - I dropped him off at the sitter's with his lunch and I headed to the spa.

I am personally of the opinion that THAT is how women should spend EVERY birthday. Take the day off work and go let people exfoliate and rub down just about every inch of your body. Men, don't ask your wife what she wants. You'll probably mis-hear her and get the wrong thing or pick out something that completely doesn't fit. Send her to get a massage and a facial, and if the package includes it, some rejuvenating dew body wrap thingie with steam.

So, after three plus hours at the spa I was starving. I actually skipped sitting in the sauna or the hot tub in favor of a shower and a late lunch with the Hubster. Look - I erased every possible good thing I did for my body that morning by stuffing my face with nachos. But they were goooood nachos.

We finished up our gooooood nachos just in time to go pick Nick up from school. I don't think we've ever been able to both be there to pick him up before, and he had a grin from ear to ear when he saw us both standing there. Then we went and got the other kid and came home.

I had just enough time to run to the store - by myself! - and see if I could find a new shirt to wear out for the evening. I didn't, but wasn't all that worried about it. I came home and started getting ready to go out for the evening.

We left the house around 5:15 and dropped the kids off at The Hubster's Mom's. The kids were happy to get to sleep over at their Grandma's and we were happy to be kid-free for an evening.

We had 6:30 reservations for Buca di Beppo's with a group of our friends. Buca's = YUM. And look - we got a BABS. (Big ass birthday sundae.)

After dinner, we rolled ourselves out and to a nearby bar where one of my brother's girlfriends works. There was fun and merriment and far too many shots of tequila.

I woke up Saturday morning to get ready for Will's fourth birthday party with the worst hangover of my life. I couldn't believe how horrible I felt, or that I actually would have drank all the beverages that had been put in front of me. But then I realized -- I'm still young enough to get hung over.

And that made me feel pretty darned good.

No comments: