Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Misty water colored mem-ries...of the way we were...

I'm not a sappy person.

I'm not overly sentimental. I don't save ticket stubs or birthday cards. (I do, however, have a note my hubby wrote me on the back of a Wong's Wok receipt from the mall in 1999.)

But when I sat down in bed to read the other night something hit me -- HARD -- and nearly made me cry.

My hubby had moved our bedroom furniture around.

It had come on the suggestion of the realtor we met with some time ago...she thought it would make the room look bigger.

But our room is now set up exactly as it was on the day we brought our firstborn son home from the hospital.

I vivdly remember 21+ hours of hard labor in the hospital. I can recall clearly how relieved I was to have the doc finally suggest a C-section at 3 am. I tried not to sound like I thought it was the best idea anyone had ever had. (Though clearly, it was.)



sleeping baby nick



I remember sitting in that hospital, watching crap TV for four days - infomericals and celebrity gossip shows. (Julia Roberts's twins were born the day after I had Nick. And I finally got the Magic Bullet for my birthday this year!)

Food tasted so good when they finally let me eat. I took everyone up on their offers to bring me things - my Dad brought me a custard chocolate shake from the gyro place down the street and it nearly healed me completely.

But for some reason, the thing that sticks with me the strongest was how good it felt to come home and crawl into my own bed.

It was early December, and Hubby had put clean flannel sheets on the bed and had cozy PJs ready for me. That first night home, I fed Nick, who was a good eater and sleeper right off the bat, and fell into bed where no one would wake me hourly to take my temperature.

I got four straight hours of sleep.

We'd gone from a newlywed couple to a family.

MY family.

I was sleeping in MY bed.

In MY house.

No wonder that sticks in my mind as being the best sleep I've ever gotten.

protective dog

The dog took a liking to the baby right away. She was protective of him from day one!



For more great memory inducing photos, check out Marcy's Glamorous Life and The Mom Jen.

23 comments:

Marcy Massura said...

I love this.
It doesn't HAVE to be an embarassing photo. But maybe not one that is picture perfect. Just a photo- like above...with a story and meaning.

Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Great memory connection. <3

Anonymous said...

That is one beautiful baby. *SNIFF*

NicEmMOM said...

Memories... aren't they great!?

Melisa Wells said...

Aww, those photos are great. ;)

Andrea Frederick said...

Oh my...those pictures were great! I love the one with the dog!

Faith said...

Great pictures and a great story to go along with it. Baby pictures always make wish mine were that small!

Bree Shaw said...

those pictures are great! we were afraid of what my in laws dogs would be like with our first born and one of them was really protective and would lay right by the bed when he was sleeping and when he woke up the dog would bark. love it!

maggie said...

Aw, sweet post. Home and family is just really that nice, isn't it?

Colleen said...

such precious pics!

Jennifer said...

Amazing pics. Love the last one; such a protective puppy!

Maren said...

beautiful pictures!

Denise said...

You're entering into THE hardest phase of moving, in my book. Leaving behind the place where you have so many of those memories of "firsts". My hubby and I are now in the 4th home we've shared since getting married .... and each time we've moved, we left a piece of our history behind.
sniff, sniff
Now I'M getting all teary-eyed!

Hockeyman said...

Awww, I wish I could sleep with the same peacefulness as a baby does. I love to watch them sleep.

Great pics!

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

What great memories. Great picture of the dog with her little paw on the bed. Good girl.

Tara R. said...

Now I'm going to cry. The first photo is adorable, the last one is too cute.

Muthering Heights said...

I love that last photo...your dog reminds me of "Nana" from Peter Pan!

The Mom Jen said...

Sweet memories and fab shots, thanks for linking to me!! Keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

What great memories, I love the way you put it together!

MediMonsters said...

Great pics!

Kim H. said...

Okay Colleen that post about made me cry -- and that picture is too much cuteness to handle. And what a good egg your hubby is -- clean sheets and fresh jammies. That's the best. And what a beautiful memory! Thank you for sharing.

Hugs!

Jennifer-Eighty MPH Mom said...

What a sweet story...I was almost moved to tears too. You have a happy little family. There IS not place like home (and your own bed of course). I love the dog - so protective! Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories!
You can see my Take me Back at:
http://eightymphmom.blogspot.com

Kari @ A Giveaway Addicted Mommy said...

You are a wonderful writer - I especially related because so many of your memories remind me of mine. Though we no longer have the house that I brought either of my first two children home to - I can still conjure up those memories!

Thanks for linking up!